Thursday, October 31, 2013

First Halloween in America

Fall is the season of harvest and wine: EuroAmericanHome

Fall in Pennsylvania has been warmer than expected. From our back porch, we can see the neighbor's tree turning all shades of autumn. In the morning, when I'm having my coffee, I look out the back door and let my mind wander. Sometimes it's squirrel-watching. Sometimes it's robin-(the bird)-watching. The tree is always there to remind me of all the change. It was barren and sad-looking when I came here in February. It exploded into a cotton candy bloom in May. It looked crisp and leafy and luxuriant in mid-July. Now it is turning tawny and amber. It made me realize that I've experienced all seasons here, and yet it still seems to me that I just arrived yesterday. But then I think about the family and friends that I miss terribly, and it seems like I said goodbye a hundred years ago. There is an ongoing battle in my head between perceiving this constant adjustment as exhausting or just liberating. So far, it feels like exhausting is winning.

We bought a pumpkin to carve for Halloween and ended up cooking it down into pie filling. We're not very good planners, obviously. But I see a lot of pumpkin meals in our future.

With Trevor working, I got to experience Halloween all by myself, staying out on the porch and giving away candy. "Giving away candy" is one of those phrases that makes me shudder, and it shall be banished from my vocabulary for at least one year.

My favorite costume was our neighbors' pug dressed as candy corn. Candy corn is this ridiculously addictive Pennsylvania-original piece of wax shaped like a corn kernel. Ok, it's candy, but it looks and tastes like wax. My favorite children's costume was a tie between a rotund ladybug and a two-year-old Al Capone complete with a moustache and a pinstripe suit.

I gave away five big bags of candy in about one hour. I spent the past two weeks sampling Charleston Chews, 3 Musketeers, Raisinets and 100 Grand. The Twix bag didn't make it through to the trick-or-treaters. Twix has a way of sneaking up on you and next thing you know it disappears unexpectedly when your husband is not looking. (For a quick reminder of my modus operandi, see last year's post - How to prevent overeating.)

We're planning to celebrate November by buying discounted candy, having peep jousting tournaments and doing some light Thanksgiving crafting.

Life is good!


1 comment:

  1. I'm so looking forward to experiencing my first Thanksgiving! Hubby and I are cooking together as he knows what is tradtional to have and I can cook! We will also be hitting the Black Friday sales - not that it is something we would do every year, but as we are starting out we need to get some home items and the price reductions are really going to help us!

    Enjoy your Thanksgiving!

    Molly

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...