Friday, August 2, 2013

Things to do this summer: Go to a fair

I'm taking part in the August Break, initiated by Susannah Conway, a blogger that I keep going back to for her creative free spirit and thoughtful words.

The August Break is about sharing a photo every day, based on a word. But I want to do more than that. I want to push myself to write a few words about it or the story behind it in as little as a paragraph or two. I feel there is power in words, just as there is power in images and I'm hoping this will keep me close to my friends, and it will be a way to invite more people into our lives, as much as we allow it. Our tiny camera will have to do. We're not professionals, so please excuse our clumsiness.

I've already missed the start so I'm jumping right in at day two, with "circle" being the guiding word.

EuroAmericanHome: Pennsylvania-summer-fair

This week, our small Pennsylvania town is hosting a summer fair, organized by the local River Rescue to raise funds. I am continually amazed by the power of volunteer work in the United States. The River Rescue members are all volunteers and they're funded by donations, hall rentals and a handful of events that they organize each year. They do an Easter egg sale and a Halloween parade in addition to the summer carnival. The local fire department is also made up of volunteers and so is the food bank and the senior center. The power of community is at the core of small town Pennsylvania, and this city girl likes it.

The fair takes place on our usual evening walk route, so Trevor took this chance to introduce me to another Pennsylvania Dutch concoction (the pretzel and the whoopie pie being the other two that I tasted so far) and quintessential fair food, the funnel cake. I was reluctant to try it at first, especially when I saw the industrial deep fryer in the back of the food tent. I should have listened to my instincts because there's nothing fun in FUNnel cake. It is basically a deep fried dough bomb dunked in sugar. Hello, 600 calories of greasy dough! Nevermore! I said, as I felt my arteries clogging and my cholesterol level reaching the top of the Ferris wheel. They should rename it funNOT cake.

Here's a few more pictures, although that may be bending the rules of the August break.

EuroAmericanHome:SUmmer-fair-in-Pennsylvania
EuroAmericanHome:SUmmer-fair-in-Pennsylvania
 EuroAmericanHome:SUmmer-fair-in-Pennsylvania



The August Break 2013

2 comments:

  1. Seeing your pictures remind me of so many happy childhood memories of being at county fairs etc. Love it!

    Molly

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...