Thursday, July 18, 2013

Things to do this summer: Paint something white

White paint is an acquired taste for me. When I was growing up, I used to tag along when my grandmother visited one of her friends. Her friend had furnished one of her bedrooms in white and whenever we had a sleepover, I would demand to sleep in that room. All of our furniture was brown and black and drab and the white set just seemed so indulgent.

Somehow the obsession with white furniture slipped to the back of my mind for 15 years and it's now resurfacing with a vengeance.

White looks clean, chic and breezy. So right now I'm having a love affair with white furniture.

Trevor and I have painted our dresser, stools, boxes, frames and our bathroom cabinet all white and we still have half a can of paint to go through.

So If you're looking for Trevor and you can't find him one day, just check to make sure I didn't paint him white. It could happen!

Our kitchen connects with the dining room through a pass through so we wanted to create a breakfast nook there. Trevor already had stools there, but they didn't really match anything. So the first project that we tackled was learning how to paint monogrammed stools.  Yes, we're vain enough to put our initial where our butt is.

It took me a long time to find the right paint because I wanted something that was no VOC (Volatile Organic Compounds - the nauseating chemicals that give you a headache when you paint), low odor and no carcinogens. After careful research and cross referencing about 1000 sources, I decided to go with Yolo Colorhouse and buy their semigloss eggshell interior paint called Imagine .01

Good choice, my friends, good choice! It does not smell at all, it's super easy to clean off your brush and hands and it dries very fast. We also bought the Yolo primer

and off to paint we went.

EuroAmericanHome:yolo paint and primer is good for furniture

 Here is how the stools looked like before Trevor applied his patience to them.

EuroAmericanHome: paint monogrammed stools and chairs

First, I primed them. I only did it once because all of those nooks and crannies were a pain to cover. (Now I just realize that "pain" is one letter away from "paint'. Coincidence?)

Then I procrastinated for a while until the mood struck and I applied two coats of white Yolo paint on them (no pictures, I was procrastinating on that too).

The next step was bugging Trevor to come up with a nice handwritten G stencil. It only took us a couple of weeks to get through that step. In hindsight, we wouldn't have printed the stencil on paper, because it was soft and it took a lot of precision and squinting to stay within the lines.

EuroAmericanHome: paint monogrammed stools and chairs
 We painted one green monogram on a white background and another white monogram on a green background. 

EuroAmericanHome: paint monogrammed stools and chairs

I was also thinking of dip-painting the stool legs, but once we were done with the stenciling I was ready to move on. 

There were so many other things that were screaming: Paint me white!




Sharing the fabulousness at Craft-o-maniac.

8 comments:

  1. Nice job! I had a lot of white furniture in my Minneapolis house, since all the trim (windows, baseboards, etc) were already painted white. Now a lot of the furniture is sitting in storage because the Hinckley house has oak trim. Bah.

    But I was just telling Rob how I always wanted white bedroom walls when I was growing up, possibly because my mom loved to paint and wallpaper all the rooms. The closest I ever got was OFF-white when I was a teenager. My bedroom now is white with white trim (I tediously painted it all) and white bedding + curtains. When I'm lying in bed I sometimes like to pretend that I've finally lost it and am living in a sanitarium. It's very peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "When I'm lying in bed I sometimes like to pretend that I've finally lost it and am living in a sanitarium. It's very peaceful."

      This is so funny!

      Do you plan to use the white furniture in the Hinckley house at all? Maybe you could paint it a different color, although not many colors go well with oak trim.

      Delete
    2. Hmm, I'm not sure. Even if the pieces were a different color, there's no space for them in the house right now. But I don't want to get rid of furniture that I might someday swap out for pieces that I'm currently using (since there's storage space out in the barn). I am planning to spray paint my old kitchen chairs black for use at the table downstairs, but that'll have to wait until I don't have to worry about poisoning the inside baby.

      Delete
  2. Wow,now life for old stools!Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting! We had fun doing it and we're strong believers in using old furniture. It's so well made and has tons of character.

      Delete
  3. Hi -- once you start ... painting something else, becomes addictive doesn't it?! Loved the article, and am including it in my next Expat Blog Carnival... which is due to be published on my blog August 1st.


    http://www.rovingjay.com/expat-carnival-2/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Jay! I'll keep an eye out for your post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi it published today... http://www.rovingjay.com/expat-carnival-2/

      thanks, Jay

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...