Thursday, May 30, 2013

The headboard replacement

Our bed doesn't have a headboard. The prospect of hanging something like a picture or a painting above our heads gives me chills up and down my spine (it's ok, my friends know I'm paranoid and extra safe). I imagine waking up in the middle of the night with a large frame collar around my neck in the manner of Ottavio Leoni's Portrait of a Young Lady Wearing a High Collar.


I see people on Pinterest hanging shutters, paddles or a hardwood door (a door!) above their heads and I shiver.

So in order to fill the blank space on the wall above our bed I made a banner. I was inspired by a picture in an Apartment Therapy home tour. Theirs was all about sleeping in, but I thought I don't need any incentive to do that. Sleeping well, on the other hand, is something I should do more of (especially when Trevor mumbles in his sleep in the middle of the night, "I need to gather the trombones!")

I used ribbon, a few beads, scotch tape to secure the pieces on the back and, obviously, colored paper. Here, the colored paper is called construction paper, probably because construction workers use it to make paper cranes during their lunch breaks.

[Imagined construction workers conversation:

Construction worker 1: Bill, where did you put the demolition rotary hammer, man?

Construction worker 2: I dunno man, but look at this awesome papier-mache rooster.

Construction worker 3: That's nothing man. Yesterday, Butch made some paper daffodils you wouldn't believe! ]

 Without further rambling, here's the banner.


 I kept calling it a banner until Trevor corrected me and said it was a pennant (because if it's triangular it must have a different name). I then googled pennant and Wikipedia said it is "a narrow, tapering flag commonly flown by ships at sea". I raised my eyebrow in a pennant-fashion, since this thing is going above our bed.


Worth mentioning:

- I used Open Office to make the sign. The s-e-e-l-l-l letters are Brush Script MT font, size 150.
 The p-w-e letters are Black Chancery font, size 150.

- We don't have No headboard? No problem! written on our wall, but I think we SHOULD.

-  Our wall was painfully white; long live photo editing!


4 comments:

  1. Hi, I saw your comment on my blog and thought I would check yours out and stop by and say hello! I read through some of your visa info, and (gulp) feel like I have a mountain yet to get through, but reading abiut you I know it can be done! I am awaiting my interview so have yet to do the paperwork for that and the medical etc.

    I look forward to reading more about your adventure. I love the bedroom banner idea by the way!

    Molly @ The Move to America

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by!

    The visa process is definitely a long journey, but from the moment my embassy got the paperwork everything flew by so fast. You'll get to live with your husband in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would call that bunting! (Since a pennant is only one flag.) Have fun with all the home-making stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, good to know. And I AM having fun; too much fun maybe (voice inside my head says "there's no such thing as too much fun").

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...