Tuesday, May 28, 2013

How to celebrate Memorial day in small town America

It was Memorial Day in America yesterday. 

Memorial Day is celebrated every year on the last Monday in May, as a day of remembrance of men and women who served in the US Armed Forces (Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force, Coast Guard). Observed since 1861, Memorial day is traditionally a day of parades and it marks the beginning of summer.

My day started with a clown on a Segway crossing the street in front of me.  

Pff, (I can hear you saying) whose day didn't?!

How to celebrate Memorial day in small town America - clown on a segway

Please try not to be too jealous of our state-of-the-art roller coaster main street. It's been under construction for over a year to replace the water pipes. Remember, we'll be the ones laughing when we have clean water with no lead residue. 

So, back to the clown on the Segway. As much as I dislike clowns, I have to admit that this one was rather personable as he was honking his little horn left and right when cars were passing by. I had to walk behind the motorized vehicle to get to the place where the ceremony was held.

Trevor was playing in the town band, on the lawn of a Catholic school (same Catholic school that hosts the weekly bingo night).

How to celebrate Memorial day in small town America - town band playing

 Here they are, playing Americans We. Why they were tucked between two trees still remains a mystery to me. I bet those trees got a great concert

After the band played and the usual speeches and honors were given the parade went on its way. There were members of the armed forces, town officials, high school marching bands, firefighters, river rescue crews and little league baseball teams.

How to celebrate Memorial day in small town America - collage

 Nothing says celebration better than a balloon flag float. America loves balloons, they're everywhere.


How to celebrate Memorial day in small town America - the navy handing out candy

 Here's my favorite part of the parade - members of the Navy giving out candy.

How to celebrate Memorial day in small town America - parades

Now we all know that serious reporting (like the one that I'm doing right here, ahem!) requires the reporter to surreptitiously blend in, in order to better observe the customs and habits of the subjects. This is exactly what I was doing here, next to the fire hydrant. Notice that I was also waving not one, but two American flags and joining in the celebrations. If that's not convincing, I don't know what is.

How to celebrate Memorial day in small town America

Just when I thought the parade couldn't get any cooler, here they were:

How to celebrate Memorial day in small town America - clowns collage

Oh America, you just sweep me off my feet with your handsome men everywhere!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...