Wednesday, April 3, 2013

How to apply for a fiancee visa: Part 5

It's been a while since we wrote anything despite having nothing to do except move continents (insert imagery of Mickey pulling continents together by a rope wrapped comically around them). But here is what we had to go through between our last post and the actual arrival in the United States. For a recap, see this post.

European Hoop 1 - The National Visa Center sent our approval to the consulate in a timely manner and we didn't have to make much dreaded phone calls.

European Hoop 2 - The Medical Interview

The branch of medical providers that the US Embassy uses for their medical exams is the same one that is used for pediatric services.

Imagine me and my friend (who kindly accepted to share with me this "amazing" experience) stepping into a building full of screaming kids at 8:30 in the morning. Ok, maybe I was the one crying the loudest but the sniffles were all theirs. I didn't do the fainting, but it was close.

"Needle time" was so nerve wracking that the nurse (a nurse that usually works with children, mind you) was snickering at my arm jerking. So I turned to the adult equivalent of "I want my mom!" which was "Can my friend come in?". When my friend came in she joined in the nurse's giggles and my remaining pride was taken with the blood sample.

European Hoop 3 - The Visa Interview

This was probably the decisive part of the process and in retrospect it seems like it was the easiest part. The interview was scheduled for early February and the U.S. Embassy is located somewhere outside the city in the middle of an open field. For security reasons everybody has to wait outside the embassy's gates until the time of the appointment, so imagine Mickey (and 8 or 9 other people) shaking in the brisk February air under a bus stop-like shack across the street from the actual building. This whole set up leaves you with the choice to either shiver in the cold or tremble with anxiety about being late.

The interview went quickly and the Consular Officer politely asked me about ten questions, all of them about our relationship. She then said that she had issued me the visa and I should have it delivered by the end of the week. The hard part was that I was the last one on their list so they called me last to give the paperwork, to pay the fee, for biometrics (fingerprints) and for the interview. I was feeling so anxious and all the waiting certainly didn't help. All in all I was inside an hour and a half with the last 10 minutes being the actual interview.

Trevor (coaching me before the interview): Remember, when they ask you questions answer seriously. No jokes!

I managed to go through the interview without any jokes, which is not easy for someone who uses humor to diffuse anxiety.
Waiting for an interview
Mickey waiting for her interview



1 comment:

  1. This is so useful! Thanks for stopping by on my blog to comment and share! I am so glad it does not seem as ominous as I thought - I am still nervous (mainly because it is so important to my husband and I), but your post has eased my mind. Thanks!

    Molly @ The Move to America

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...