Monday, October 15, 2012

Day 69 - How to get what you want

Today's post is inspired by two wonderful things that we have in this modern age that both assist us and also frustrate us: wi-fi and customer service.

My current job requires me to travel quite frequently, and so I rely on hotel provided internet in order to communicate with Mickey much of the time. Even when I am at home, my internet provider can be sometimes unreliable; this is much more frustrating on the road. Tonight was no exception. I arrived at my hotel and logged into Skype and the connection was intermittent. After 45 minutes on the phone with the internet provider I ended up calling the front desk, and after a little complaining, I was moved to new room.

I have learned, that the best way to get what you want is to complain to customer service. Still be polite, but articulate that you were promised "hi-speed internet" and not "barely works internet".

This approach has gotten me credits on my phone bill, cable bill, an overnight FedEx label from a mortgage company, and a reduced maintenance fee for some sound equipment (tell them their product is inferior). This approach, however, does not work on girlfriends or government agencies. But in a few circumstances, it works like a charm, and for just a fleeting moment, I feel like royalty.

If this post gets enough interest, I can post a step-by-step approach to getting what you want from customer service. Please hold while I connect you to the next available representati-

How to get what you want

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...