Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Day 96 - Can you hear me?

Mickey and I met online, and after chatting on Yahoo Messenger for a few weeks I asked if we could try voice-chatting.  I would have asked if we could Skype, but I did not yet have a web-cam.  Mickey agreed and I was very excited.  Let me further premise this by saying that Mickey had only showed me a few pictures of her, so I was still a little nervous that she might not be who she said she was, but rather some very creative scam artist.  Ok, I wasn't that nervous, but the possibility could have still existed at the time.

I had never used YM's voice chat feature so I was a little nervous it might not work.  Naturally the first thing I said once it connected was probably "can you hear me?"

I don't remember if she could hear me or not, but I remember having a brief moment of terror as the voice came back over my speakers.  It was slowed down, as if using some kind of voice disguising adapter (like they use to hide people's identities in documentaries).  To me it sounded like Darth Vader in slow-motion.  And the first thought in my head was..."oh no, it's a man pretending to be a woman..."

As it turns out, it was simply that my professional audio interface didn't work well with YM.  I switched back to the computer's normal audio and it worked fine.  And then I heard Mickey's ever-so-mild accent and started shopping for web-cams.

P.S.  Yes I do have a dual monitor setup...which I utilize for editing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...