Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Day 88 - How to frame a puzzle

Mickey loves puzzles.  I don't go out of my way to buy them (unless it is for Mickey) but I am always happy to help...er, I mean, I will keep putting pieces until it's done.  Mickey and I have completed 2 puzzles so far during my trips to Europe.  We have a third, but we're holding off for now...and here's part of the reason:

After completing said puzzles, we decided I should bring them back to the U.S. of A. where our home together will soon be.  This brings about the interesting predicament of figuring out how to transport an already completed puzzle (with 1 or 2 thousand pieces).

As you can imagine, this prompted a differing of opinions.  Mickey was determined to scotch-tape the back, while I did not want to so that I could glue them to a board and frame them.  We ended up doing a little of both.  Compromise is so important in a relationship.

Transporting a Puzzle


Anyway, once you have transported the puzzle to its final destination, it's not very hard to frame it.

1.  Lay it face down on newspaper.

2.  Apply spray glue.  Try to get some glue on all pieces, but don't over-saturate it.

3.  Read the directions on the glue, but most glues tell you to wait a minute before applying the surfaces.

4.  Carefully apply a single sheet of paper (or foam-board) to the back.

Now the puzzle is forever secure and ready for framing.  I made one of the frames out of molding...much cheaper than buying frame wood.  The other frame was purchased at a craft store (50% off woo-hoo)!

how to frame a puzzle, puzzle of Neuschwanstein Castle

How to frame a puzzle, puzzle of Bedzin Castle

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...